Victoria Book Prizes
September 21st, 2023
The $5,000 City of Victoria Butler Book Prize, now in its 20th year, is awarded to a Greater Victoria author for the best book published in the categories of fiction, non-fiction or poetry. The five finalists are:
- Maleea Acker for Hesitating Once to Feel Glory (Nightwood Editions)
- Robert Amos for E.J. Hughes: Canadian War Artist (Touchwood Editions)
- Mary Bomford for Red Dust and Cicada Songs (Caitlin Press)
- Pauline Holdstock for Confessions with Keith (Biblioasis)
- Katłįà (Catherine) Lafferty for This House Is Not a Home (Roseway Publishing)
The $5,000 City of Victoria Children’s Book Prize, in its 16th year, is awarded to a Greater Victoria author or illustrator for the best children’s book. The three finalists are:
- Sara Cassidy for Union (Orca Book Publishers)
- Monique Gray Smith for I Hope / nipakosêyimon (Orca Book Publishers)
- Julie McLaughlin (illustration) for Little Pine Cone: Wild Fires and the Natural World (Orca Book Publishers)
The finalists were selected by an independent jury, comprised of representatives from the local literary arts community, from among books published between April 2022 and March 2023.
The winners will be announced at the gala event, hosted by CBC Radio’s Kathryn Marlow, at the Union Club of British Columbia on Wednesday October 11 at 7:30 p.m. (doors at p.m.) Tickets are $25 and can be purchased online at victoriabookprizes.ca.